Monday, May 2, 2011

IT Bands, Running Bible, and New Shoes


I've been trying to ignore it, but I can ignore it no longer: I think I have an IT Band problem.

The outside of my right knee has been bothering me since the Salt Lake Half. While the race course was great for the PR, it was not so fabulous for my knee. I wouldn't call it painful, but it's something that I've been noticing both when I'm running and resting. I'm hoping to get a grip on things with some icing, foam rolling, and strength training before it takes me out. It's also a good thing that I have a brother that just so happens to be a personal trainer that is going to be helping me out a little bit. Aren't families the best? I know mine is.

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to be taking my mileage down a bit. I HATE to do this with only 6 weeks before the Ragnar, but I don't want to miss the race entirely. I ran 11.5 on Saturday with Holly and after mile 4 I couldn't stop thinking about my dang knee. Grrrrrr!!!! Is it too much to ask to just be a healthy runner forever?!

The good news is that I get to RUN with this guy today:
Know who this is? Chris McDougall- author of Born to Run!

He's doing a running clinic and a presentation at The Runner's Corner in Provo today. I'm excited to meet the man that wrote what I think of as the running "Bible". Holly is going with me, so be prepared for lots of good info tomorrow.

Lastly, I got new shoes on Saturday! After my run, I decided that the 600+ miles I put in my Asics was enough and that it was time to get some new shoes. I'm going to be running in my first pair of Saucony's, so we'll see how I like them. They seemed alright on my run this morning, but they didn't magically heal my knee problem (which I was secretly hoping for).

I'll be honest- I kind of hate getting new shoes. I always have this stress and worry that they aren't going to be as good or that they'll cause weird injuries because they make me run differently. Am I just a wacko?

Goodbye, Asics, we've had some good times.

6 comments:

MotherRunner said...

Ummm.. that is awesome - I am reading Born to Run right now.. so interesting. Can't wait to hear how your run goes.

I totally don't think your fear of new shoes is unfounded.. I am convinced my new Brooks gave me this weird shin issue I've had for the past few months... but I hate to spend money on new shoes that might not help it!

Coy Martinez said...

ROLL WITH A FOAM ROLLER! MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY!! If I had started rolling sooner it would have saved me! In fact, rolling did stop it, my IT Band pain went away within 2 weeks. Stretch and roll and I bet it gets better :)

Kiley said...

Hey, I'm new here! Sorry about your knee...I'm in the same boat. The outside of my right knee has been hurting for just over a week. And, like you, my mileage is down & I'm focusing on stretching, foam rolling & strength training.

What kinds of goods does your bro have you doing to help? Maybe they will help me too!

Cory Reese said...

That is SO sweet that you get to meet Chris McDougall. I may have made a trip to Provo for that one. Can't wait to hear about it.

I'm totally with you on new shoe anxiety. I have the exact same fears. Sauconys have been my favorite. Good luck with them!

LisasFitLife said...

How awesome, you get to meet Chris McDougall!!

I love getting new shoes but I also worry that they might not be as good as the last pair :/ They should have treadmills in all stores that sell running shoes. So we make sure the shoes are good before we purchase them. LOL...BTW I am your newest follower :)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I know just what you mean about new running shoes! You just never know!