Thursday, May 5, 2011

Time to get serious.

After much stress, (and by stress I mean me freaking out nearly every minute of every day), I have finally come up with a plan of action regarding healing this IT Band Syndrome.
1- Ice multiple times a day.
2- Rest. Of course I will be missing my run to Delicate Arch in Moab that I've been dreaming about for a year and a half. AGAIN. I missed it last year due to foot problems. However, the last thing in the world I want to miss is the Ragnar. Priorities. I am hoping to resume running next Wednesday.
3- Rolling with "the stick".
4- Stretching and strength training. This video was the most helpful that I found in all of my hours of scouring the internet searching for a cure. I know some people were asking what to do. I'm no expert! Here's hoping I can save myself some cash on the PT bill.
ITB Rehab Routine – Video Demonstration
5. Last but not least, zero drop shoes. I took back my Saucany's that I purchased last weekend and bought the New Balance Minimus shoe. I ran in it today and felt great! I went only 4 miles (with no knee pain when running), and I could tell my form was much better. It's too bad that after I stretched and headed up the sidewalk to my front door my knee was hurting again. I knew it was too good to be true! I'm a big time believer in form, so it's time to get it right.

4 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Sounds like you have a good plan to get back to running! Hoping for a speedy ITB recovery!
:)

MotherRunner said...

I working on a rehab project of my own... and contemplating getting some new shoes. Keep us updated on how you like them!

Stephanie F said...

I just found your blog and I love it. I've been wanting the Minimus shoes for a while now! Hope to get them soon.

Cory Reese said...

Good plan. Injuries = grrrr. Haven't seen those shoes before, I'm looking forward to hearing how they work for you.