In about 16 hours from now team "Desperate For A Party" will be taking it's first steps onto the Wasatch Back 2011 course. I am so excited I've had butterflies all day!
The Wasatch Back is what got me started running a year and a half ago, and I've never looked back since. I fell in love with the race and knew that this was something I wanted to continue doing. Going back this year and running one of the toughest legs in the course is sort of surreal for me. Last year I thought Darcy was nuts for picking the Ragnar leg, and now, here I am, mentally geared and physically trained to run up a mountain.
Time is a crazy thing. You just never know what you can do when you put your mind to something and work towards it. WORK is the operative word here, because I have spent over 1,000 miles on the road since last year's race. I've done half marathons, 10Ks, 5Ks, trail runs, another Ragnar, and am working towards a marathon. I'm a different person this year than I was last year, and I can't wait to see how the feel of this year's race differs from last year.
I'm ready to Ragnar!!!!
To eat I have:
- 3 Gatorades
- 1 jar of peanut butter
- 1 honey bear
- 1 loaf of whole grain bread
- 1 box of granola bars
- 1 package of granola nut clusters
- 1 pack of Trident gum
- 2 packages of strawberry shot blocks
- 1 package of berry sports beans
- 3 baggies with chocolate whey protein powder for a recovery drink
- 3 complete running outfits
- 3 pairs of socks
- 3 pairs of underwear
- 3 sports bras
- 1 pair Asics Gel 1150 shoes
- 1 pair New Balance Minimus shoes (my Guardsman secret weapon)
- Hygiene kit with sunblock, deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner, baby wipes
- hand towel
- Point and shoot camera and a video camera
- Amphipod Reflective vest
- Garmin 305 and Heart Rate Monitor
- Body Glide (PRAYING for no chafing)
- Silly Bands- to give to all the people I pass along the course! :)
- First aid kit with neosporin, bandaids and moleskin
- Shuffle packed with my favorite tunes
- Headlamp for the run at 2AM
- Red tail light for the night run
As for goals I would like to:
- Hold back during my first two runs (3.9 miles and 7.6 miles) and run at an 8:00-8:15/mile pace so that I can...
- Run up Guardsman without stopping!