Monday, June 13, 2011

Inspired

This last weekend was like chicken soup for my soul.

I had a physical therapy appointment that was a-mazing! I felt so good. My PT said I was really flexible and should be back to normal soon. Honestly, I feel back to normal already.

Friday I ran 2.5 miles up Guardsman and was pain free. I was brought to tears when I was heading back down and ran into Mindy. For the first time in 2 months, I feel like I might actually be able to achieve my goal of running up Guardsman without stopping.

Saturday evening I ran 8 miles and was able to do the first 4 miles at a 7:48/mile pace. I haven't run this fast since my half marathon in April! My face said it all- it was covered with a huge grin. I ran the last 4 miles with Holly and we did some hill work.

The best part about this weekend was watching my cousin's wife, Daisy, run the Utah Valley Marathon. This was her fifth marathon, and she was hoping to PR. After the first few miles she knew it wasn't going to happen because the course was a lot hillier than she had anticipated. She ran steady, with her brothers by her side, every time we saw her along the course. I don't know what my deal was, but I was so emotional watching her as well as the other runners this morning.
Daisy is in the middle of her brothers in both of these pictures.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that people actually run 26.2 miles. I AM GOING TO RUN 26.2 MILES. It's baffling.

There wasn't a single runner, that I could see, that crossed the finish line without being in pain- some more intense than others. Over the last 2 miles I watched one guy stop every tenth of a mile and grab his cramping calves, but you know what? He finished. There were people out there that were overweight and definitely didn't fit the description of "runner", but you know what? They finished.

Daisy crossed the finish line at 4:44 and was greeted by all 4 of her beautiful girls, her husband, and lots of family. She set an incredible example for her daughters of setting hard goals, and working hard to reach them.

After watching Daisy, I can't wait to start training for my marathon next week. It's going to be a roller-coaster, but I can't wait for the ride!

1 comment:

Cory Reese said...

I'm sorry I didn't see you at Utah Valley!

I'm with you, every single time I cross the finish line I think it's baffling that I just ran 26.2 miles. But somehow we do it.

And soon you will too! It. Will. Be. Awesome!