Monday, May 30, 2011

I'm baaaaaack!!!

Today I ran fartleks up a moderately steep hill, called Lindsey's Hill, up the street from my house. I ran up and down the hill 3 times (the entire hill is just under a half mile long) and then ran back home. It felt absolutely incredible! I had a nice hard run with ZERO PAIN. (No pain before, during, or after). Every time I have run in the past week I have been shaking my head in disbelief- it is such a miracle!

I have always been a big believer in prayer, so if you don't already do that, you should start :), but I am for sure a big believer in physical therapy now as well! Those doctors know what they are doing.

A week ago I couldn't even run 3 miles without feeling pain and then having my knee bug me for 2-3 days afterwards. Since I started physical therapy less than a week ago, I've been able to do this:

Count:4 Activities
Distance:22.31 mi
Time:03:15:33 h:m:s
Elevation Gain:968 ft
Avg Speed:6.8 mph
Avg HR:173 bpm
Calories:2,000 C
Max Distance:7.12 mi
Avg Distance:5.58 mi
If you are having problems, run (or limp) your way to a PT- it could change everything for you. I wish I would have done it 6 weeks ago so I wouldn't have had to miss so much of my training.

On a totally different note- I know absolutely nothing about heart rate zones. I wear my HR monitor with my Garmin, but it basically means nothing to me because I don't know how to properly train with it. I just go out there and run as fast as I can and then come home. You guys have any tips? Advice? How am I supposed to use this thing?

1 comment:

MotherRunner said...

That is awesome. I've been in PT for three weeks now and am finally starting to be able to do some (very) short runs pain free... what a glorious feeling!! Congrats on your run!