Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekly RUNdown: I'm supposed to run to train for a marathon?

Welp.  This happened last week:

Monday:  Cycling 12.6 mi, 45 minutes (16.8mph)
Saturday:  14 miles at 8:40 pace/mile

Ummmm.....  Let's list some excuses:
  • My foot was still bothering me from my 12 mile LR the week before, so I wanted to rest it.
  • I came down with a cold last Sunday and didn't feel like doing much of anything unless I was being whined at by a small child had to.
  • My mother-in-law was in town from Wyoming and we wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.
  • NyQuil makes it really, really, really hard to get up in the morning.
Fact of the matter is, I was just not interested in running last week, and the only reason I cycle or strength train is so I can run, so all of that just went away, too.  I was mad at running.  We were on a break!  (Can't you just hear Ross from Friends yelling that in a nasaly voice?)

Good news?

My run on Saturday picked up my spirits- thanks to 3 friends and a some lightly falling snow that did most of the heavy lifting.  I ran with Jami and Breona (who just celebrated her 30th Birthday!  Yeah buddy!) for the first 7 miles, and then picked up my friend Kristen for the last 7.

It made me realize something- I run for fun.  Know what I think is fun?  People.  Right now, at this point in my life, running a 3:30 marathon isn't worth it if that means I have to train alone.

So, I'm training for a marathon- with friends!

For the first time in two months, I feel really excited to run the Ogden Marathon.  I know it will be fun, I know it will be rewarding, and I know I'm going to enjoy every step of my journey along the way.

Here's to a better week this week!

What makes training enjoyable for you?

14 comments:

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

I'm glad to read this post today! I've been feeling the marathon blues over the past week and am hoping to get my spirits up before my speed workout tonight!

PS I got my email from Brooks...

Julia said...

yay! i agree so much with this post. dang. it is so hard for me to get motivated sometimes. i just want to enjoy running and usually that means friends and eating sweet treats after :) glad you are feeling better! I MISS YOU.

Falon said...

I think a break is a dang good idea once in awhile. Running is always sitting around waiting for you to comeback too... unlike Ross. I just can't get excited about a full this year so I just don't think I'm going to do one. Run on hillarious Amylee! Ogden is yours!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Could not agree more about running with people. As much as I hate to openly admit this running is completely social for me. Love the friendships I have made much more than the PR's I have set. Wish I lived right next door to you so we could run together all the time.

Christie said...

A little break is always a great way to give your legs a reminder why you love running so much:) & I think it is so smart to rest your foot if you are feeling any of that same pain---most def. don't want to put injured for Ogden!

I have never trained with anyone before... I am pretty introverted so I am okay with 'just me':)

Suz and Allan said...

Having fun is what it's all about for me! Glad to hear you had such a nice run with friends. Wish I had running buddies here!

Danielle said...

Music helps me get through those days when I'm just not in the mood! I wish I had more running buddies too I think that would help a lot!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I've been coming to the realization that it just needs to be FUN! Don't know why it has taken me so long to figure that out...

Alyse said...

Running / workout buddies are the best! I completely support your not feeling like running - sometimes it just ain't happening, and forcing it doesn't do you much good.

DGri said...

Believe it or not, I'm a total introvert. I like running alone. I do wish I had someone I was accountable to, however. While I always seem to make it out the door to log the miles, some days are harder than others!

Andrea said...

I hate to say this but a lot of time my motivation is watching TV and listening to music. That gets my butt up the stairs to work out. PS If I had this kind of week I would be so excited.

Ali Mc said...

I hate getting motivated. I know it;s hard when you're training for something specific but if I'm not then usually I just let myself rest. B/c my love for exercise seems to go in waves, so I just roll with the tide.

Coy Martinez said...

You're 100% correct! I struggle with training alone. I can do it for awhile and then after that I get crabby. Music only makes it ok for so long and then I want actual company! If I'm not qualifying for Boston, I'm not worrying over it!

Ann said...

Yes - training with friends. I realized the true comradery of running this weekend at my race. it's such a wonderful community! :)