Monday, March 26, 2012

Weekly RUNdown

I am amazed at what a HUGE difference getting new shoes made.  Woah.  I was looking at my stats on garmin connect and realized my foot started hurting by the 5th run in those shoes.  Yikes!  I'm glad I figured it out and will be able to continue on with my training *hopefully* injury free.

Monday:  Cycling- 12.9 miles, 45 min (17.2 mph)
Tuesday: 6 miles, 7:42 pace.  I ended up bailing on my Yassos this week- figured it was best to take it easy on the foot for a few more days.  I had zero pain during my run, and by the afternoon any tenderness I had following the run was gone.
Thursday:  5.69 miles hills, 370 ft gain, 8:29 pace.  Jami killed me up the hills AGAIN!  I want to be like her when I grow up.  I wish I could run more so I could get better at hills.  Last year I was able to fly up them at this time.
Saturday:  18 miles, 8:40 pace.  I felt really, really good- in spite of getting up at an inhumane time- 4:45 AM.  Huge boo to early mornings. 

***If you are training for a marathon, here is a tip- break up your run into a series of smaller loops.  That is what I did this time, and it seemed so much easier!  Mentally, I didn't even feel like I ran 18 miles.  I ran 5 miles alone to start out, then picked up my friends Jami and Katie and ran 6 miles with them, and the finished with a final loop of 7 miles with Breona and Mindy.  My friends kept me going and it was always exciting when I picked up a new set of buddies- like I got to start all over.  

This run made me insanely happy for the rest of the weekend.  Around mile 15 my foot left foot started to hurt a little, so I ran on the grass and the shoulder for the rest of the time.  My feet recovered quickly though and by today I feel like my feet are 100%.  This feels like a miracle considering the problems I've been having and after such a long run like this.

Workouts were good this week.  I need to add in strength again.  I just wish I didn't hate doing it so badly.  Know what I love?  Walks with the fam.  We had a gorgeous view of Antelope Island- where Cory did his 50 miler this past weekend!



What was your favorite workout last week?  How do you handle long runs mentally during marathon training?

8 comments:

Coy Martinez said...

You're right about the long runs. I had one this past weekend, well, it was only 11 miles BUT I did them in 4 mile loops near my house so I would pop in, get a drink, then head back out for another 4. Didn't feel like I was heading out into the sunset for good :)

Your DQ is in the mail!

Happy your foot is better!!!! Sounds like you're right where you need to be. Pretty pics btw!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Gorgeous photos! Favorite workout last week was on the trails with Tim. Best run ever!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Wow gorgeous pictures! Does this make you want to run Antelope next year? ha

Nice week in training and I totally agree about breaking the run up into segments. It totally makes it easier mentally.

Julia said...

gorgeous views from the walk!!! it makes me soooo happy that you are back and running again painfree :) yay yay yayyyyy!!! i finally busted out my new shoes on saturday then tried to wear my older pair again monday...my feet could totally tell a difference.

Ann said...

Love love LOVE this! Great job logging your miles and you look ADORABLE in that picture!

Suz and Allan said...

Great picture of you guys and what gorgeous pictures of the area! I like the idea of breaking a long run up into smaller runs with different groups of friends. Thanks for sharing that!

kalie said...

You are so pretty.

Courtney said...

what a great picture!