Friday, September 16, 2011

Here goes EVERYTHING.

"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves.  It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go.  It helps us to find out what we are made of.  This is what we do.  This is what it's all about."
-PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

The jitters have been eating me alive over the last week.  Dreams are filled with a marathon that never ends, a marathon that I just decided not to do, and a marathon running up a mountain.  Needless to say, my sleep isn't very restful when it's filled with running marathons.  Thanks to Cory for sending me this incredible article about the jitters.  It gave me confidence and hope- both of which I have been lacking over the last week and a half.

I'm running a marathon tomorrow.

It's finally sinking in, and I can honestly say that I am SO EXCITED for this experience!  Right now I feel kind of like I did before I had my first baby;  I don't know what to expect.  I know the process is going to be hard.  I know I'm going to feel pain.  But I also know that it will be one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had.
Goals:
Happy:  Finish a marathon.
Excited:  Run a marathon in under 4 hours.
Ecstatic:  Run a marathon in under 3:40- my current Boston Qualifying time (for one more day!)

I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a plan about how I was going to do this.  

I'm going to arrive at the start line and find the 3:40 pacer.  I think this is the best option for me.  I need to try not to go crazy during the first part of the race (which is always extremely hard for me anyway, let alone when I'm running down hill) so sticking with a pace group at about an 8:23 pace should hold me back and keep me comfortable.  Running with a pace group means I'll have people to hold me accountable to it.

All bets are off at mile 18.  If I feel good- it's balls to the walls, my friends.  Time to blow that marathon out of the water.

However, if I'm feeling pain from my IT Band, I'm stopping.  I've promised Dallas that I'll do this.  One race isn't worth ruining the rest of the year for.

There you have it.
 
I have such a great support system of friends and family that have been wishing me luck (and praying for me!!) and I'm so grateful.
These little gestures and kind words have not been lost on me.  Thank you, Kalie- this was one of the kindest things anyone has ever said to me.  Thanks to you bloggers who let me whine and complain and be an outright jerk, and you still come back to tell me it's all going to be okay.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Time to BELIEVE in myself.  Here goes everything.

6 comments:

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

Good luck tomorrow!

ash & diz said...

Good luck! I hope your IT band behaves! If it does, just remember the last 6 are tough because of winding through town. When you get to the Burger King on Main st, you are ALMOST there!

I'll be thinking of you!

matt&cec said...

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! So excited for you! Trust yourself and your training and let it HAPPEN! It will be an awesome ride!

You're in my prayers, too! Can't wait to hear about it.

-Cecily @www.rerunrunning.com

Christina @ The Athletarian said...

Yahoooooo!! You are going to do amazing! This is so exciting. Whichever goal you reach will be an amazing accomplishment. Good luck and PLEASE write us a recap when it's all over! Enjoy every second of the race and LISTEN to your body!

Julia said...

ahhhhhhh!!!! the race is probably long over now! but I hope hope hope that it went well and that you did absolutely amazing! can't wait to hear about it friend!

Amber said...

Oh my gosh, I am so excited to hear about it all.