Friday, September 2, 2011

Well.... that sucks.

I have a race tomorrow... that I won't be running.

Darcy and I tried to do an easy 5 miles yesterday. I made it less than a half mile when I knew that wasn't going to happen. I was feeling an all too familiar tightening and pain on my left side. My IT Band. I tried to run a little bit more, but it was definitely not going away. So, we walked. The night was gorgeous and it was pleasant to have a conversation without struggling to do it between breaths.

But now I have this problem. I wouldn't say it's a full blown injury, but I feel like it's about 1 run away from becoming one. I first felt that something might be up during the last 3 Yassos that I ran on Wednesday. I could feel a pull and a hitch in my stride, but I was hoping that it was just nothing. Obviously it wasn't nothing. The good news is that at this point it doesn't hurt AT ALL while I'm not running, and it doesn't bother me while I'm going down stairs either. Knowing this, I hope that I'll be able to get it under control easily and that I won't have to even worry about Top of Utah.

I'm waiting for a call from my PT so he can answer some questions. For now I'm just going to do my old rehab- strength training exercises, foam roll, ice, and rest. The soonest they could get me in for a session was Tuesday afternoon. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until then.

Ugh. So much for that 10K PR (I'll have to wait to break into that 45 minute mark until next time)- the marathon is WAY more important.

10 comments:

Jessica @ www.rerunrunning.com said...

The marathon is two weeks away, right? Take some days off and then go super easy... You don't need to do anymore training for the marathon, so just rehab this early and be ready in two weeks to rock it! (I wouldn't do absolutely nothing for the next two weeks, but taking time off for this would be smart and shouldn't hurt your fitness.) I hope it gets feeling tip-top soon!!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Girl are you serious? This made me want to freeking break out in tears. I am so so sorry but you are so smart for stopping. I am confident that with the right rehab you will be okay to run the marathon. Seriously RICE rest, ice, compress, elevate. Foam roll as much as you can and pray a lot.

I am thinking about you.

Christina @ The Athletarian said...

I'm with Rachelle! RICE and you will be able to run the marathon no problem! You are in my thoughts :)

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

IT band issues are no fun! Not doing your race tomorrow is probably a good thing, but I know it's so hard to not do them!

Cory Reese said...

Good call on backing out. Rest more than you think you should for the next two weeks so your body can come back strong for the race.

And.....your jumping picture is up at www.fastcory.com !!!

Julia said...

thinking of you! you are incredibly strong and smart knowing that you are doing what is best for your body. and the marathon is definitely most important! you will be there...strong and ready!

Fisherman's Wife said...

Smart girl to stop running! Do the RICE thing, ice like crazy, foam roll and stretch. You will own Top of Utah!

matt&cec said...

Good move on easing up on the running. I know how frustrating it is, but Top of Utah is more important. It's so much easier to say, "Yeah if it hurts, just stop," than it is to do, so you are a rock star.

If you feel like doing any cross training, check out our blog on pool running. It might be a good alternative for the next few days while you're trying to heal up before the big race. Good luck!

Here's the link:

http://www.rerunrunning.com/2011/08/pool-running/

matt&cec said...

I know how frustrating it is to have to stop because of an injury, but seriously, good job easing up. It's so much easier to say "Yeah, just stop if it hurts," than it is to do. I'm so impressed!

If you'd like to do some cross training while you're waiting to heal up before Top of Utah, check out our post on pool running. Might be a fun alternative that will make not running seem a bit less sucky.

Here's the link (and good luck!):

http://www.rerunrunning.com/2011/08/pool-running/

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry! As much as I feel like we should be proud of our bodies for doing what they do, sometimes I feel like they have the worst timing ever. I've got all my fingers crossed that your IT band decides to not be a big jerk and cooperates with you for that marathon - you'll be great!