Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Moving forward...

***Mucho family updates!!! Click [HERE], [HERE], [HERE], [HERE], and [HERE] to see what's happening with the Nicoll's! There's nothing quite like a blogger assault, right?

So much about running, and especially races, is left up to chance. Will the weather be gorgeous or foul? Will my stomach feel okay? Will I be able to run injury free after months of training? What will the support be like along the course?

There's so much out of our control. That is why we (read- I) must learn to let go.

I've trained well. My pacing has been perfect. I've trained with hydrating and refueling and know exactly what my body can and cannot handle. I've done hills, Yasso's, long runs and recovery runs. I've been eating healthy. I've had the race course taped to the side of my bed since March, visualizing and mentally preparing myself for running 26.2 miles down Blacksmith Fork Canyon all the way to Merlin Olsen Park.

Everything I could control, I did. I couldn't control my left leg being 1" longer than my right. I couldn't control my hips being out of place. I couldn't control a locking SI joint. I couldn't control the fact that I was born bow legged and thereby making me prone to IT Band injures.

So, where do I go from here?

Dan Ivie, my physical therapist/miracle worker, feels that I will be able to run the marathon. Running it in 3:35 or under might be a different story. So, it's time to rework things. The great thing about the Boston marathon is that it isn't going anywhere. It will be there year, after year, after year. And, if things go well, so will I. So, I've decided it's time to take the time goal pressure off. I'M RUNNING A MARATHON, FOLKS. And that, my friends, is accomplishment enough.

Plus, next year when I run a marathon, I will already have one under my belt and know what to expect. Perhaps that is when I will run that Boston Qualifying marathon- it is something I will keep chasing until it is mine. It will happen, just maybe not in 9 days from now.

Instead of running a 3:35 marathon, I'm going to enjoy the ride. When I finish, I'm going to have a huge smile on my face because I will know that I accomplished something incredible because whether you finish in 2 hours and 5 minutes, or 6 hours- a marathon is a marathon, and it's something to be very proud of.

In fact, I think I might just have to reward myself by running Vegas Ragnar next month with Rachelle and Julia. Done and done.

8 comments:

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

I am SO GLAD to hear that you got the OK to run the marathon! And you're right, Boston isn't going anywhere!

Cory Reese said...

Only my $.02 but I think you just made a very wise choice to take the pressure off. You only get one first marathon and it's something to truly experience instead of being stressed out about a certain time. Plus, I don't think anyone really understands the last 6 miles of a marathon until you actually do it. So have fun at your first, learn what areas need to be tweeked, get the huge mental boost knowing you can do it, then KICK BUTT at your next marathon!!!

sNick said...

Amy, you make marathon running look good. That was both a statement, and a command. Bam.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

There was one marathon I ran that I didn't know if I'd be able to run more than a mile when I stood at the starting line. I'd had a minor injury and had hardly run in the days or so leading up to it.

Turns out, the resting helped and I finished the marathon, slowly, but I was so happy to finish that my time hardly mattered.

I hope you heal quickly and that this will be the first of many more marathons.

Jessica @ www.rerunrunning.com said...

Great attitude! I love the paragraph where you list all the training you have done. I like to do that before races... just put your trust in your training. Good luck with the leg. Is it too much to say we'll keep you in our prayers?? I think you'll still do awesome and have a great chance of hitting that boston qualifier... you may really surprise yourself!

And... You have one leg an inch longer than the other?! Can you tell when you run (other than it causing injuries that is?)

Mindy Kohler said...

I will do awesome not matter what your finishing time will be. Now that you have to slow it down a little I might actually get to see you during the race ;)

Rachelle Wardle said...

I really really agree with what Cory said here. Your first marathon will be such a journey and you will learn so much. Enjoy it and soak it all in. I am 99% sure Boston will be full for 2012 by next Saturday anyway so even if you qualified chances are slim you would actually get in. I do not think I will get in this year either and that is okay. I will run it someday and I am okay with waiting.

Yay for Vegas Ragnar!! And I can't wait to see you today. woo hoo

Lisa said...

Just found your blog and reading your last post felt like reading my own personal journal entry. I'm one sad running Mama who pushed an entire season of amazing racing and training and now I'm limping around with a bum leg, wondering if I will be able to run my first marathon...Top of Utah...in 7 days. Grateful for your follow-up post filled with positivity. I'm also throwing out my time goals and racing for the experience. There will always be another race to crush, right? Best of luck and health to you! You are an inspiration.