Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Well, I got this in my e-mail yesterday:

Dear Amylee:

Thank you for submitting your application for entry into the 2012 Boston Marathon. Regrettably, we are unable to accept your application due to field size limitations and the large number of applications we received from qualified runners.


Name of ApplicantGenderAge on
4-16-2012
Submitted
Qualifying Time
Amylee NicollF273:39:07

Entries from applicants in your age group were accepted through and including the time 3:38:46. 

 So, I missed running in the 2012 Boston Marathon by 21 seconds.  21 seconds in a 3 hour and 40 minute race is NOTHING.  I was sad.  I may or may not have shed a few tears, but I quickly got over it.

Why?
  • I know I'm good enough to be there.
  • I ran a BQ on my first marathon ever- How cool is that?!
  • I know I can do it again.
  • I have a new challenge and a new goal.
  • When the time rolls around to qualify and run in that race again, there's a better chance I can bring my husband, Dallas, with me- because if I went next year it wouldn't be feasible.
  • Piggyback on the previous reason- we will be in a better place financially to do so.  (Hubby in school full time and working part time = teeny tiny savings account and essentially traveling to Boston on student loans.  Bad idea).
I believe that it is important to look for the positive.  Although I had my sights set on Boston, I still had a hugely successful marathon experience and I'm not going to let this dampen my spirits.

Instead, I'll just run the Ogden Marathon.  Haven't you heard?  The Ogden, UT Marathon is the new Boston.

Who's with me?! 

10 comments:

Suz and Allan said...

I hate that you aren't running Boston this year but I have no doubt you will be there next year!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

When I saw the article BAA put out about the accepted times I thought of you knowing you had missed it by a breath. However, if you go 2013 I'll be there too (hopefully) so that will be awesome!

I'm pretty sure I did hear something about Ogden being the new Boston...

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I'm sorry for you, but with all those reasons you listed it is probably better to save it for next year. And then you won't feel bad about spending the money to get there, either. Go Ogden!

sNick said...

You've got to be kidding me! You must have been so disappointed. Well, what does Boston have that Ogden doesn't, right? You know, I'm always of the mentality that I have to do everything RIGHT NOW, but every once in awhile someone comes along and says, "Hey, Nicki, what's your rush?" And when I sit down and think about it, I can only respond, "Good question!" You'll rock it next year. Fo sho.

Jessica @ www.rerunrunning.com said...

Ugh! So not cool... That's the worst when it's just a few seconds, or one place, or something so stupidly small. I missed going to state one year by one place... If I had known I might have pushed a little harder... I bet you've had that thought already, too.
But I LOVE that you're looking at the bright side and the truth is that you did do incredible for your first marathon and you have it in you to be even mote incredible. So, you'll be there... And when you are you'll knock it out of the park!
So, when is this Ogden marathon? If it's the new Boston, then I might just have to come try it out...

Julia said...

I am so sorry to hear the news! I can only imagine how frustrating this was. But it does not discount how hard you worked or the fact that you WILL dominate your next marathon even more than this one! you are incredibly positive about this whole experience which is inspiring! Ogden is definitely the new Boston...and better yet...its the new road to Boston :)

Rachelle Wardle said...

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. You qualified and you ran an AMAZING first marathon. You have so much to be proud of.

And like you said you will qualify again and next time it will make more sense for your family. You will love Ogden!! It is the perfect time of year and a great marathon.

I can't wait to see you tomorrow. :)

matt&cec said...

Oh my goodness. I'm glad you're being so positive, but I just want to say I'm so sorry. That is such a bummer!

You are incredible, you ARE good enough to be there, you CAN do it again! Plus, Ogden will be awesome too! Just another race experience to help you be all the more ready for when the day of your Boston comes.

-Cecily @ www.rerunrunning.com

kalie said...

Aw, those snobby Bostoners. You're just too good for them. ;)

Dave said...

Hmm...May sounds like a good month...