Friday, September 9, 2011

Lemons and lemonade

Yogurtland yesterday was good for my soul. I was so excited to go and see Rachelle yesterday and talk a little about Vegas Ragnar (which we didn't hardly do, so I guess we'll just have to meet up again!), and to finally meet hungryrunnergirl! Little did I know what a treat I was in for to meet Ashley and Sarah as well.

Ashley and I are both struggling through setbacks with injuries and hoping to run marathons in the very near future despite the challenges (me @ Top of Utah and Ashley @ St. George). She is so awesome! She was so strong and so inspiring to me that I can, in fact, do this. I'm excited to blogstalk her and get to know her better.

Sarah- what a cutie! She didn't really know anyone; she just moved back to UT to go to BYU from Ohio. I connected to her right off the bat when she started talking about going to rehearsal- she's a Secondary Education major with a Theater Emphasis as well!!! She was super energetic and I can only imagine how much fun it would be to work with her on stage. She is also running her first marathon- the Layton Marathon- next month.

Then there was Rachelle... that girl is as sweet as they come. She brought me a very thoughtful card and bag of swedish fish (which I would have taken a picture of had I not eaten them already- so much for no sweets!) to wish me luck at my marathon next week. I'm so grateful to have a friend like her! I can't wait to run Ragnar with her and get to know her even better. She was so inspired to invite me to join her team. It was just what I needed to get me through the marathon blues I have been having- now I have something to look forward to!

Janae is just as funny and kind in real life as she is on her blog. She walked right in and gave me a huge hug as soon as she came in the door. She's just one of those people that has a very magnetic personality. No wonder we all can't stop reading her blog!!!

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is this- when life gives you lemons, grab a bunch of strangers and go to Yogurtland. You won't be disappointed!

Jessica @ rerun running asked me a question about my leg being 1" shorter than my right, so I thought I'd clear things up! I don't typically have a leg that is longer than the other, it just happens because my hips are so out of whack. (And my hips are so out of whack because of birthing babies- so be prepared for that if you haven't already experienced it, ladies!) When I first laid down on the table and PT Dan looked at my legs, he asked me one question- "Have you only been running on the left side of the road with the traffic coming towards you?" Well, of course! That's the safe way to run. Well, apparently it only aggravates my problem because my right leg will always hit first and my left leg has to reach for longer thereby causing the discrepancy in height. So there you have it. I could definitely tell that I needed to be adjusted because I felt out of balance while I was running (and walking, for that matter), but I didn't realize how badly it had gotten.

Tip from my PT: Run in the middle of the road if you can, and if you can't, be sure you are switching it up between the left side and the right side of the road. If you are running on the track, change directions sometimes, too!

What is your favorite way of making "lemonade" when life gives you lemons?
I definitely track down some friends to help cheer me up. I'm reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin right now and in it she says, "...the most reliable predictor of not being lonely is the amount of contact with women." It's true! I'm so grateful for my girlfriends, sister, and Mom during times when I feel like a lemon. And the hubby- he's good at cheering me up, too.

9 comments:

Jessica @ www.rerunrunning.com said...

Ah... that makes so much sense!!! Thanks for clearing that up. Cec and I have had quite a bit of hip/IT problems in the past and our trainer used to shake and pull at our legs for the same reason... so, I probably should have caught on sooner, but I'm not surprised I didn't.
What an awesome blogger meet-up! So wishing I could have been there. And I wish you were doing the Napa Valley Ragnar, too... Rachelle is going to be there and my old friend needed an extra on their team, so now I'm doing it, too!
As far as lemons into lemonade... "Lemmon" was my (and cec's) maiden name and so we used to joke around with that saying a lot. :) I agree that friends and loved ones are the best way to cheer up and make the best of a situation.
GOOD LUCK in the MARATHON next week! And have an awesome weekend!

Jessica @ www.rerunrunning.com said...

Ps. Is there some way I could subscribe to you through email or twitter or something?

Anonymous said...

So happy to have gotten to meet you!! I am so excited to talk to you about theatre and running too in the future (: I hope you feel better soon!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

I have had the hip problem too. I regularly visit the chiropractor to correct that otherwise I have major hamstring problems.

Totally jealous of your Utah blogger meetups. Please have one between September 29th and October 2nd when I’ll be there. (However not on October 1st unless you want the meetup also be the “Cheer Amy on in the St. George Marathon” meetup).

Cory Reese said...

Awesome that you are reading The Happiness Project. Definitely one of my favorites!

matt&cec said...

Oh to think I lived in Provo for so long and wasn't a running blogger yet to be able to go to cool meet-us at Yogurtland. Sigh. Glad to see a pic of all you cute girls together! Girl-time definitely brings happiness for me!

When life throws some lemons at me, I sometimes need others to help me make something sweet out of it. I'm grateful for a great husband/fam/friends to help me do this!

This is Cecily @rerunrunning.com btw, not sure how to sign in that way...sorry.

matt&cec said...

Oh, to think I was in Provo for so long, but wasn't a blogger yet and never went to one of these cool blog meet ups. Sigh. But it is fun to see a pic of you cute girls together! Yogurtland + running buddies + talking about running, it must have been so fun! Girl time definitely makes me happy.

I usually need help from others to help me take life's lemons and make something sweet. I'm so grateful for my wonderful husband/fam/friends who help me do this!

Julia said...

jealous that i missed out on the y-land trip! but no worries i have been eating my FAIR SHARE of yogurt here in ky...haha! i am loving the happiness project. just started it but am thinking i need to take some quality time with it this afternoon :) hang in there girl. you will be ready come marathon day and will be amazing! i just know it!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Awesome post! It was so fun to meet up with you last week and we seriously need to start doing it at least once a month. Vegas will be epic!

Thanks so much for all of the info from the PT. It is all so so interesting.

6 more sleeps girl! :):):):)